Academic
Publications
Biological and DNA evidence in 1000 sexual assault cases

Biological and DNA evidence in 1000 sexual assault cases,10.1016/j.fsigss.2009.09.006,Forensic Science International: Genetics Supplement Series,Franc

Biological and DNA evidence in 1000 sexual assault cases  
BibTex | RIS | RefWorks Download
Using a Filemaker-based database (DNA Pro-FILES, Synchrone Infosystème Inc.), we have conducted a large-scale study on 1000 sexual assault (SA) cases where a standardized kit was submitted to our laboratory alone or with other types of exhibits. We looked at the likelihood of obtaining good quality DNA evidence, allegedly from the assailant, according to a number of parameters.The overall proportion of SA cases with DNA evidence is nearly 50%. A little more than 30% of SA kits provided DNA evidence while for 16% of cases DNA evidence could be obtained only from other exhibits.The likelihood of obtaining DNA evidence is approximately 50% in teenager and adult SA cases, but much lower for children 10 years old or younger (15%). In children cases, profiles were found mostly on clothing or skin swabs.The likelihood of obtaining DNA evidence from vaginal swabs remains good for up to 3 days after the assault (from 35% on the first day to 23% on the third day). A DNA profile was obtained from approximately 22% of anal/rectal swabs and 41% of skin swabs taken less than 1 day after the assault. Less than 10% of oral washes provided DNA evidence, all having been collected within 24h of the assault.We found that in bodily samples, a negative result for acid phosphate (AP) is a poor predictor of the likelihood of obtaining good quality DNA evidence. Approximately 15% of vaginal swabs and 8% of anal swabs negative for AP nevertheless provided good quality DNA evidence.
Journal: Forensic Science International: Genetics Supplement Series , vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 138-140, 2009
Cumulative Annual
View Publication
The following links allow you to view full publications. These links are maintained by other sources not affiliated with Microsoft Academic Search.